Residence permit for EU citizens

Public body: Ministry of Interior - Migration


Non-EU citizens’ visa application

Non-EU citizens looking to settle in Bulgaria need to apply for a Visa as a first step. Type D visa has a six-month validity and a right to stay of up to 180 days. Foreigners complete an application form at a Bulgarian diplomatic or consular mission at their permanent place of residence. A copy of the travel document and passport-size photograph would also be required, in addition to the visa application form. The application process can be initiated no earlier than 3 months from the date of travel and the processing time could take up to 35 working days.

There are some exceptions to the above rule. There is a visa-free regime for holders of multiple Schengen visas for a stay of up to 90 days. Similarly, holders of visas and residence permits issued by Romania, Cyprus, and Croatia can enter Bulgaria visa-free and stay up to 90 days.

The Ministry of Exterior Works has provided a list of countries whose citizens can stay in Bulgaria for up to 90 days without the need for a visa – see here.

Residence permit application for EU citizensBulgarian residence permit

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC or GHIC) or medical insurance

This card is issued by your national health provider and gives you access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare in any of the EU counties. Bulgarian authorities may request to see your EHIC or alternatively, you would need to purchase medical insurance for foreigners in Bulgaria. The insurance premium is circa 175 BGN. For example, look up

Bulgarian bank account statement as proof of sufficient funds

Your account balance needs to show at least 12 months’ worth of Bulgarian minimal wage (circa 7,800 BGN). In some cases, it might be sufficient to show proof of a Bulgarian bank card issued in your name.

Proof of address

Homeowners can show the notary deeds of their property, while people renting in Bulgaria need to bring a copy of the tenancy agreement.  Your landlord’s consent is key for your application. The landlord declaration needs to be signed and stamped in front of a notary and submitted together with a copy of your rental agreement.

Proof of employment

Bring a copy of your employment contract. Self-employed can show a patent for their respective business activity.

Evidence the applicant is a family member

One can use a birth certificate or a marriage certificate.

Fees for Bulgarian identity documents

Certificate for an EU citizen 7 BGN

Residence permit on a card 18 BGN (standard application takes 30 days)

Fast-tracked application 36 BGN (takes 3 days)

Migration offices in cities across Bulgaria

Address: 8000 Burgas, 63 Perushtitsa Str., Lazur complex, tel .: 056/856 809

Address: 9000 Varna, 1 San Stefano Str., tel: 052/652 349

Address: 5000 Veliko Tarnovo, 4 Belyakovsko shose Str., tel .: 062/662084

Address: 3000 Vratsa, 17A Dimitraki Hadjitoshev Str., tel .: 092/692 341

Address: 5300 Gabrovo, 50 Orlovska Str., tel. 066/800 860

Address: 4400 Pazardzhik, 2 Saedinenie Square, tel .: 034/434 366

Address: 4000 Plovdiv, 70 Volga Str., tel: 032/932 890

Address: 7000 Ruse, Bul. “Gen. Skobelev ”№ 49, tel .: 082/882 236

Address: Sofia, 5 Antim I Str., tel.02 / 982 3764

Declaration from the landload as per article 20aApplication for long-term residence